The UNICORE Forum e.V. is an organizational member of the Open Grid Forum (OGF).
Forschungszentrum Jülich is a member of the Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards (OASIS).
UNICORE is part of the European Middleware Initiative.
UNICORE 5 is the well-tested, production-ready and pre-Web Services version of the UNICORE
This package contains a complete UNICORE 5 server installation, including
Gateway, Network Job Supervisor, and Target System Interface pre-configured to run on a single Unix/Linux-like machine.
You can use it as a basis for easily creating your customised installations.
This Live CD boots a Linux System with all the UNICORE components already installed. You don't need to install
anything on your computer. Just burn the ISO-Image to a CD-ROM, reboot your computer and explore UNICORE 5.
The password for the keystore of the UNICORE client is "unicore".
- UNICORE's client-side entry point providing a graphical interface to a UNICORE Grid.
- The Gateway is the single entry point for all UNICORE connections into the Usite.
Network Job Supervisor
- The Network Job Supervisor (NJS) manages all jobs submitted to a UNICORE Vsite.
The NJS package contains UNICORE's information service, the Incarnation Database (IDB).
- This is the standard implementation of the UNICORE
User Database, which authorises the users to access the NJS.
- The Target System Interface accepts incarnated job components from the NJS and
passes them to the local resource management system for execution.
- The Abstract Job Object class libary provides the foundation for
job and workflow modeling and for the protocol between UNICORE clients and servers.
The Client's plugin concept provides the means to integrate applications into a
UNICORE Grid without source code modifications to the application. A large variety
of plugins is already available.
The UNICORE Secure Shell Plugin allows the creation of an SSH connection
directly to a UNICORE virtual site, while single sign-on remains at the client.
This is very useful, when the UNICORE user computes data on several computing
resources inside the Grid and wants to have a closer look or to work remotely on the
- The interactive access functionality is a tool that enables the user to retrieve
information from the target site that would otherwise not be available through other
channels (for example, the manual pages for a software package).
- IADemo stands for Interactive Access Demo. It was written as a demonstration of
the interactive capabilities of the UNICORE Grid platform.
List All Jobs
- The LAJ (List All Jobs) plugin was designed in order to help UNICORE client users
keeping track of all their jobs split across multiple UNICORE sites. Of course it
can be done in the through refreshing all Vsites in the Job Monitoring area of the client.
With this plugin a list of all, still executing jobs is generated and their status is
- The Plugin Loader plugin is used to download other plugins from the NJS. It is useful
as a lot of sophisticated plugins need the NJS to be configured properly. With this plugin
the NJS can provide all plugins that will work with it.
UNICORE Config Utility
- The Config Utility is very useful for setting up all UNICORE server-side components.
Arcon Client Library
- The Arcon Java Client Library provides the means to integrate UNICORE client
services in portals, applications, etc.
UNICORE's internal transfer mechanism (UPL) is based on java streams, and it’s not suitable
for transfers of large amounts of data.
The UNICORE architecture has been extended to use different file transfer mechanisms as
an alternative to UPL. This plugin uses an alternative file transfer (AFT) mechanism based on
Globus® 4.0 RFT (Alternative Reliable File Transfer - ARFT) with data compression and
DEISA Services for Heterogeneous management Layer
- The DEISA Services for Heterogeneous management Layer (DESHL) provides functionality
for submission and management of computational jobs within a heterogeneous
enviroment. DESHL also provides data staging facilities to allow data to be moved
to suitable locations in preparation for computational jobs to be run and for data retrieval
on completion of a job. Please visit http://deisa-jra7.forge.nesc.ac.uk/ for
more information and software downloads.
- The UNICORE Broker is maintained as a separate project, please visit
- SIMON is an automatic monitoring tool for UNICORE. It allows to specify tests and
run them automatically in regular intervals against specified sites. In case of failure
it is able to send a test report to specified email-addresses. This tool is highly
configurable and can be easily extended to the sites particular requirements. Currently,
SIMON is available for UNICORE 5, but will be extended to UNICORE 6 in the future.
UNICORE at SourceForge
The UNICORE Project page offers you the entry point to all features SourceForge provides for hosted projects.
You want to get the latest development version of the UNICORE 5 source code? Then check the CVS page out.
Page URL: http://www.unicore.eu/download/unicore5